Take action today. Call our experts at: phone icon1-800-522-5221


Online Uniformed Services ID Card (USID) Renewal


Have you ever pulled your USID card out of your wallet only to realize it is expired or approaching expiration? Often, we don’t realize it is time to renew our USID until it is too late. If you have ever tried to renew yours, then you know the wait time can be astounding. In a world where we seem rarely to slow down, it can be difficult to find time to visit the ID office.

Uniformed Services ID (USID) cards are issued to retired and Reserve uniformed servicemembers, dependent family members, and other eligible individuals in accordance with Department of Defense (DoD) policy. These ID cards are used to access benefits, privileges, and DoD facilities. The renewal process has required you to be in person at a RAPIDS site, and often also required an appointment scheduled in advance. But with modernization comes easier processes and removing the burden of having to take a trip to your local ID office. Most renewals will no longer require in-person requests. Sponsors can now request renewals online and cards will be mailed to the cardholder via US mail. But there are a few requirements you need to meet.

Which requirements must you meet to qualify for online USID renewal?

  • The Sponsor related to your USID must be a Common Access Card (CAC) holder or have a DoD Self-Service Logon username and password.
  • The request must be made for a renewal of an active USID card, and the email addresses of the Sponsor and Cardholder listed in DEERS must show that they have authorized DoD to contact them.
  • The Sponsor’s personnel status must extend at least 30 days into the future and the Cardholder must have a photo saved in DEERS that was taken within the last 12 years.
  • The Cardholder’s mailing address must be present in DEERS and be in the United States. USID cards cannot be shipped to a P.O. Box.

It is important to note that some military installations may not offer the online renewal service for USID cards. For more information, or if you wish to update your CAC, manage your sponsor or family member ID card information, or find a RAPIDS ID Card Office, visit idco.dmdc.osd.mil/idco/.