Take action today. Call our experts at: phone icon1-800-522-5221


How to Get Help with a VA Claim for a Disability


If you need help filing a VA claim or appeal, you may want to work with Veteran Service Organizations (VSOs), the Department of Veterans Services, or a VA regional office. We trust these professionals because they’re trained and certified in the VA claims and appeals processes.

Veteran Service Organizations (VSOs)

VSOs are organizations that assist Veterans, servicemembers, dependents, and survivors. VSOs may be nonprofit organizations or state, county, Tribal or local government agencies. 

The Department of Veterans Affairs maintains a directory of Veterans' service organizations on its website at https://www.va.gov/vso/.

Department of Veterans Services

Many states and counties also have Departments of Veterans Services that will assist you in filing a VA claim; however, there is no specific website that provides a list of where to find each state’s Veteran Services. The best way to find the Veterans’ claims assistance services offered in your state or county is a simple web search.

VA Regional Offices

VA regional offices also offer claims assistance. Visit your regional office website to learn about the services they offer and hours of operation. 

Leaving the Military?

If you are a transitioning servicemember, you can begin the VA disability claims process up to 180 days before leaving the military. This type of claim is known as Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD). The Transition Assistance Program (TAP) has a course called VA Benefits and Services. This course helps you understand how to navigate VA benefits and services. The VSOs located on military installations can assist with a BDD claim pre-discharge.