Take action today. Call our experts at: phone icon1-800-522-5221


Replacing a Dependent Military ID Once a Sponsor Is Deceased

When a sponsor passes away, a dependent spouse receives a survivor ID card. You can also replace a dependent’s ID card after their sponsor's death. Simply make an appointment with your local RAPIDS ID card office. Be sure to make your appointment before your current military ID card expires. If your RAPIDS ID office is on a military installation, security will confiscate your expired ID at the time of your appointment. 
Next, call the DEERS support line at 1-800-538-9552 to make sure they update your sponsor’s death in the system. Surviving dependents of deceased personnel age 75 and over can get a permanent military ID card. 
When you visit your local RAPIDS ID office, take two forms of ID to your appointment — one of which must be government-issued, such as a driver’s license or passport. You should also take a copy of your servicemember’s death certificate with you. 
If you or other surviving dependents are physically unable to make the trip, call your local RAPIDS ID office. Options for replacing the ID without the dependent present differ based on location, and the local office will be best able to tell you what to do.
If necessary, you can find more information here. And, if you have any questions, you can email an AAFMAA Member Benefits representative anytime at MemberBenefits@aafmaa.com, or call 800-522-5221, select option 2, then option 2 again.